Monday, January 3, 2011

New Year's Prayer: Promise and Hope


Our God is a God of Promise! From the Garden of Eden where the Lord promised a coming savior (Genesis 3:16) to God’s promise for Noah in the rainbow (Genesis 9:8-17) to his promise never to leave us or forsake us (Hebrews 13:5), God’s word can be trusted.

The photo above is the beautiful rainbow that the Lord gave us on New Year’s Day. What an image of God’s hope and promise shining on wintry land! “For no matter how many promises God has made, they are ‘Yes’ in Christ” (2 Corinthians 1:20).

Perhaps you will join me in this prayer for the new year.

. . . . PRAYER FOR THE FUTURE . . . .


Hope
As I look to the future, I will hope in you, O Lord,
Choosing expectation instead of fear,
Anchoring my soul in your goodness,
Resting in your omnipotence and wisdom,
Because you know the plans that you have for me:
Plans for welfare and not for calamity, giving me a future and a hope. (Jeremiah 29:11)

Trust
O Lord, teach me to place all my trust in you,
To not take my “self-fulfillment” too seriously; rather,
To choose expectancy instead of fear,
To abandon myself to you and not to lean on my own
understanding, and
To be attentive to you in all my ways,
knowing that you will open a path before me. (Prov 3:5-6)

Wait
I shall wait upon you, Loving God, and your timing,
Living life in light of the vision your have given me,
Loving the questions you have placed before me,
Living out those questions in my daily life,
Embracing the mystery of your ways,
Cultivating receptivity, and
Enjoying the process, no matter how long it may be.

Step Forward
O Lord, today let me move forward in obedience,
Praying that your will be accomplished in my life,
Taking the steps that you have revealed for now,
Listening to your voice guiding me in the path on which I should walk.
Amen.


© 2011 Glenn E. Myers

No comments:

Post a Comment